We have links with the Forum for Research in Language and Literacy (FRiLL) based at the Institute of Education, University of London, Bilingualism Matters , and the Special Education Centre at Macquarie University in Australia. Colleagues working in second language work closely with the British Association of Applied Linguistics (BAAL), and the European Association for Second Language Acquisition (EUROSLA), among others,
Alongside the work we do with practitioners in our partnership schools, we have strong links with professional associations such as the Association for Language Learning, the United Kingdom Literacy Association (UKLA), the National Association for the Teaching of English (NATE), the Society for the Scientific Study of Reading (SSSR), the British Psychological Society (BPS), the Experimental Psychology Society (EPS) and the British Education Research Association (BERA).
We also act as consultants to Government here and overseas about the teaching of language and literacy. For example, our work in the area of phonics has influenced government curriculum policy in England and abroad, as has our research in the teaching of Modern Foreign Languages.
Information about effective interventions:
Related projects, blogs etc:
Literacy and dyslexia:
- Dyslexia-SPLD trust (http://www.thedyslexia-spldtrust.org.uk/) – powerful – funded by DfE (Patoss and Helen Arkell are linked to this).
- British Dyslexia Association (http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/)
- PATOSS (Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties) (https://www.patoss-dyslexia.org/)
- National Literacy Trust (http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/)
- Dyslexia Action (http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/)
- Helen Arkell (https://www.helenarkell.org.uk/about-us.php)
- Centre for Literacy in Primary Education (https://www.clpe.org.uk/)
Language and Communication:
- The Communication Trust (http://www.thecommunicationtrust.org.uk/)
- I CAN: the children’s Communication Charity (http://www.ican.org.uk/)